How do Task Relations work?
Task Relations are simply a way for you to specify how one task is related to another.
There are many scenarios where this might be helpful, so let’s set an example of how this works.
Take these two example tasks:
Write annual report
Assigned to David
Design annual report
Assigned to Catherine
It is most likely true that Catherine cannot design the annual report until David has finished writing it. In this case, Catherine’s “Design annual report” task is blocked by Davids’s “Write annual report” task. In other words, Catherine is prevented from working on her task until David has competed his task.
With this in mind Catherine can specify a relationship to her task:
While this relationship exists, Catherine should not be able to mark her task as ‘complete’ or ‘in progress’ until David has completed his task. And if she tries, a warning will appear advising that her task is still blocked by David’s task:
This helps accomplish a couple of things.
1) When viewing this task, Catherine and the rest of the team will know that she can’t start her task because she is being blocked by David.
2) David will know that Catherine commencing her task is dependant on him finishing his task first.
Possible Task Relationships
Is blocked by
A task is being blocked by another (see the example above).
Is similar to
A task that is similar to a task that already exists. This is helpful when you suspect (but may not be certain) that your task is the same as an existing task (perhaps it has a similar name or description).
Has issues with
A task that has issues with another task. For example, the task you created may be complicated by the existence of another task.
A task that is closely related to another task in a more direct manner. For example, a task called ‘Team member photographs’ could be related to a task called ‘Write team member biographies’.
How to use
- How to I access the users page on the front-end?
- How do I change the language?
- How do Task Relations work?
- How do I add users to a project?
- Can I change the currency symbol?
- How do I archive a project?
- How to I activate my copy of Task Rocket?
- Task Statuses
- Job Numbers
- How can I give clients more access?
- User roles in Task Rocket
- Un-owned tasks
- How do I allow users to only see their own tasks in projects?
- How do email notifications work?
- How do I track my time on a task?
- How do I track my time on a project?
- How can I put a time frame on a project?
- What happens to a project when the end date has passed?
- How can I set a budget on a project?
- What happens when a project goes over budget?
- How can I let project contributors see the report page?
- How can I disable email notifications?
- How can I make a task private?
- How do I allow users to only see their own projects in the main nav?
- How do I schedule a task?
- How do I change the order of the tasks?
- How can I give clients limited access?
- How do I add a project?
- How do I delete a project?
- How do I add a task?
- How do I edit a task?
- How do I attach files to a task?
- How do I mark a task as complete?
- How do I mark a task as incomplete?
- How do I reassign a task?
- How do I move an existing task into a different project?
- How do I add users?
- How do I narrow my search results?
- How do I update my profile?
Subscribe to be first to learn about any new features, updates or special offers.